Spring is in full bloom, with summer following right behind. It’s been a long winter with many of us stuck indoors trying to maintain our workout schedules. I love this season because it signifies RENEWAL and changing things up a bit! The daily exercise grind can be monotonous and every few months it is a good idea to challenge ourselves and try new classes. April is Stress Awareness Month!! Here are some activities to keep the motivation and passion alive for staying fit while trying to manage life stressors!
Here are some of my favorite classes to check out in NYC!
Remember jump roping as a kid? It is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to stay in shape. There are many gyms now offering jump rope classes in major cities. There are many companies making different kinds of jump ropes that may give you more resistance and weight! Check out the Crossrope’s Infinity Rope System!! Equinox offers a class called “The Cut” taught by Justin Walker (@jkofitnyc) which is fun, intense, challenging and exhilarating!
Reasons to pick up a jump rope today and boost your cardio:
- Has great aerobic benefits like increasing your heart rate and building endurance.
- Improves coordination and bone density!
- It is truly engages so many muscle groups like your hamstrings, deltoid, calf muscles, quadriceps, as well as arms and wrists.
- Enhances elasticity of muscles and tendons while improving muscle tone.
- It can help boost your endorphins, clear your mind and help with relaxation!
SHOW ME THOSE KICKS AND JABS!
Kickboxing in NYC and around the country has become the hottest thing. I have always loved participating in this activity. Ever since I moved to NYC thirteen years ago, this workout has helped me maintain my ideal body weight and release any physical and emotional tension I may experience on a given day. My favorite class is at Equinox Sports Club (Upper West Side) in NYC taught by instructor Akin Williams who I have followed for years. His class teaches the basics of martial arts and boxing while you punch and kick to invigorating music blasting in the background to get you heart and body pumping!
My endurance and concentration has definitely improved while mastering his techniques over the years. I always leave this class with a smile and a good sweat while feeling more empowered!
There are also great classes at I LOVE KICKBOXING chains and great boxing classes at RUMBLE!
Equinox on East 54th street also offers a class called Shadow-do with Steve Feinberg!
I LOVE This workout BECAUSE:
1) It is a true full body exercise which focuses and works my core and arm muscles to the max! Who doesn’t love a nice, tight CORE?
2) According to the American Council on Exercise, kickboxing can burn between 350 -450 calories an hour.
3) Engances heart health by elevating your heart rate during the workout.
4) Your lungs also benefit from this cardiovascular exercise by being able to absorb more oxygen and deliver it to your blood and muscles.
5) Helps reduces bally fat which can be correlated with elevated risk of cardiovascular disease.
6) Improves flexibility and your reflexes with jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts!
7) Strengthens leg muscles and improves balance with repeated rounds of roundhouse kicks, side kicks, knee strikes, front and back kicks!
8) The intense release of endorphins always puts me in a better mood while releasing stress from my body!
View this post on Instagram
“Keep your spirit bright, your booty tight, and goals in sight.” ? SHAKIN’ IT & MAKIN’ IT in #zumba with inspiring instructor @francescamariag and #workoutbuddy @drmaggiecadet! ⭐️Gotta say….It feels ahhmazing to get in great cardio, strengthen the whole body, and superboost the mood, midweek. ? Here’s to that, and a #happy #workoutwednesday! ? * * * * * #smile #dreambig #healthy #zumbacommunity #confident #positivity #workhard #positivevibes #zumbafitness #yogapants #strong #fit #sweat #fitnesschallenge #fitgirl #fitlife #fitnessinspiration #fitnessmotivation #gym #gymlife #fitness #sweatforsmiles #sweatgivesparkle @sweatforsmiles @equinox
DANCE YOUR STRESS AWAY!!
Who doesn’t love to dance? You could be having the worst day and once your body starts moving to some motivating music, all is right with the world. Incorporating this exercise will definitely bring some energy renewal into your life! Although I love running, I try and do other classes to not constantly put pressure on my knees. I just love the combination of my favorite moves from salsa, mambo, merengue and salsa. There are some great Zumba classes all over the country but I was lucky enough to do a class with instructor Francesca Maria G recently when I was feeling overwhelmed with work, school and mom duties.
I left that class feeling invigorated, confident and so comfortable in my own skin. This active, dance-like workout is not only fun but it is also packed with so many great health benefits.
With this full body workout, you get the aerobic benefits (which really gets your heart rate up and builds endurance. You increase oxygen delivery to your cardiovascular and respiratory systems while having an even higher calorie burn per hour.
Notice the theme and my choices of workouts…Maximum heart health and stress reduction!
- Strengthens muscle tone throughout the whole body and builds bones.
- Improves coordination.
- Boosts metabolism for weight loss.
- Involves resistance training.
There is no time like the present to add a little more flavor to your spring workout routine while managing stress, burning calories, getting fit and reducing stress!
HAPPY SPRING WORKOUT!
Dr. Maggie Cadet