Walking is one of the best low impact exercises you can do. According to studies, walking briskly or power walking for 30 minutes about 5 days a week can provide the same benefits as other cardio exercises but without the harmful intensity on the joints. Its free, attainable for most people, flexible, energizing, and mood-lifting. It can even boost your creativity (and productivity), and help you sleep better.
But for some, walking can be a bit boring. Maybe the same walking route is getting less interesting, or you need an extra challenge. If you make it more entertaining, you are more likely to stick to it.
Here are 10 ways to make walking MORE FUN:
- Walk with a Friend/Group (in-person or virtually): Have a regular time that you walk together each week
- Listen to a Podcast/ Audiobook: Entertain yourself with the latest book or engage in a new podcast while getting your walk in
- Wear Supportive / Stylish Gear: If you feel good in what you’re wearing, you will walk more. I’m loving my new Easy Spirit #moveforpink limited edition Maxine Walking Shoes
- Take the Scenic Route to your Meeting/Appointment: Take a few extra minutes and fit a walk in conveniently into your everyday.
- Mix It Up: Stop every 5 min to do a mini workout (squats, jumping jacks, lunges, etc)
- Try a Live Stream Exercise App: Peloton has motivational live walking workouts!
- Make it Mindful: Focus on your breathing or notice nature or something on your walk you haven’t noticed before. Use your senses. Try Geocaching.
- Have a Destination: Meet a friend coffee / at the farmers market but walk there and back.
- Go on a Hike: Find a nearby place to hike safely and make it a memorable experience
- Add a Challenge: Climb Hills, take the stairs, go further or walk faster: Make your walk more interesting by adding a challenge.