Who’s ready to spice things up? With strengthening our immune-systems being top-of-mind, I have been trying a bunch of healthy, immune-boosting recipes. Not all are created equal, but here are my favorite 3!
SPICED KALE CHIPS
Kale is a great go-to snack because it’s loaded with anti-oxidants & Vitamin C & Vitamin K – great for strengthening your immune system and detoxifying the body. This leafy green veggie is low calorie, and it makes you feel full. I like how the light seasoning and crunch of the chip satisfies cravings too. ?
- A bunch of Kale
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Seasoning Salt
- 1 tsp Cayenne (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove thick stems from Kale leaves
- Massage olive oil into Kale leaves with hands (30 seconds-1 minute)
- Top with salt and/or cayenne
- Bake on cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes
SPARKLING JAMU JUICE:
Jamu Juice contains ginger and turmeric, powerful anti-inflammatory roots which help boost the immune system. Fun Fact: Jamu means medicine in Balinese. I like this recipe because there are a few ways to mix it up. My preference is to add a splash of pineapple juice and top it with sparkling water. Get creative and make it your own!
- 1/2 cup fresh turmeric roots
- 3/4 cup ginger roots
- 4 cups water
- Honey or maple (to taste)
- Squeeze of Lemon/Lime
- Splash of Pineapple/Orange Juice (optional)
- Sparkling Water (optional)
- Slice turmeric and ginger into thin disks and put into blender and add 2 cups water. Blend for 1 min. (or put whole roots in juicer).
- Strain into bowl, then pour into quart jar. Add remaining water.
- When serving, add honey, and juice to taste.
- Top with sparkling water.
CAYENNE LIME ALMONDS
Almonds contains a high amount of Vitamin E which boosts your immune system. They also contain iron and protein, also beneficial for the immune system. Cayenne pepper is full of beta carotene, antioxidants, and vitamin C, ideal for boosting the immune system and fighting off sickness. Its also a natural decongestant!
- 2 Cups Whole Almonds
- 1 TB Oil
- 1/2- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (a little goes a long way!)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 TB Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 TB Chopped Cilantro
- Add almonds and oil to medium pan. Sprinkle with cayenne and salt. Stir over medium heat until fragrant & toasted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Transfer to baking pan/ plate to cool.
- Store in airtight container for 1 week.
Hope these recipes spice things up for you! Share your pics with us if you try.